Today we are talking with the original COO of Hostgator, Timothy Dick. He’s got such a cool background and opens up as to how he grew the company and eventually sold it to the tune of nine figures. If you want to open your mind to how ads work, Tim is simply brilliant. We talk about where advertising is going, the stuff you can do with the data that’s being collected, and a variety of ways in which ads work.
Tim walks us through the Hostgator days and what’s happened since then with his current company, Profit Layer. This is a fascinating episode and a great journey along the way so get ready to sit back and enjoy. When you’re done, go check out our talks with Billy Gene Shaw and Curt Maly to get more advertising and brand building strategies.
“With the affiliate program we had tens of thousands of affiliates, but most of them didn’t really make that much money, because they just looked at it like ‘I’m going to sell this hosting and just send them my link’. But if you add something of value, it’s so easy.” – Timothy Dick
Some Topics We Discussed Include:
- The somewhat boring company that brings recurring income every month
- Some crazy advertising tactics that went way above simple PPC
- How Matt was able to make bank back in the early days of Hostgator’s affiliate program
- Programmatic advertising – simple but not well-known advertising
- What your cable company is not telling you
- When you have four full-time reps from Google handling your account
- Dealing with the loss of $1,000,000 in one day
- The back door way to tie into LinkedIn
- How Tim made boatloads of cash from his bedroom as a teenager
Resources From Timothy Dick:
References and Links Mentioned:
- The Trade Desk
- Tower Data, Data Logics, DNB, and Data Lab as data providers
- Erin Pheil’s MindFix Group Website
- Are you ready to be EPIC with us?! Then grab our EGP Letter here!
- Did you know we have an awesome YouTube Channel?
- Join the Facebook Community – be sure to hop in our Facebook group to chat with us, our other amazing guests that we’ve had on the show, and fellow entrepreneurs!
- This episode is sponsored by our go-to SEO research tool, Ahrefs.com, and by Easy Webinar – be sure to check out these special deals for our listeners.
- Unique Facebook Ad Strategies That Are Making People Rich – Curt Maly
- How To Use Video And Strategic Advertising To Be Everywhere – Billy Gene Shaw
Subscribe & Review To The Hustle & Flowchart Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Hustle & Flowchart Podcast! If the information in our weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!