What better way to start off a new year than by listening to our show today with Nir Eyal. He’s a former Lecturer in Marketing at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business and also taught at the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design. His first book, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, is an international bestseller and taught Silicon Valley how to design behavior. His next book, Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life, reveals the Achilles’ heel of distraction and provides a guidebook for getting the best of technology without letting it get the best of us.
In today’s show, Nir dives deep into all the ways we get distracted in today’s world and best practices for becoming indistractable so you can stay focused, get more done, and still have time to schedule downtime. He also discusses the things that you place your most important values on, such as health and family time. After listening, go check out our conversations with Brad Spencer and Henry Evans for more time saving tips on how to plan out your week for maximum efficiency and focus.
“The skill of the century is going to be to become indistractable. There’s going to be a bifurcation out there of two different kinds of people. The people who let their attention and minds be controlled by somebody else, and those who say, ‘Nope – I am indistractable’.” – Nir Eyal
Some Topics We Discussed Include:
- How to schedule time in your week effectively to get things done
- Why you should rip up that to-do list
- How to avoid fights with your partner about household chores
- Which technology to avoid and which ones will help you actually become more productive
- The magic of “timeboxing” your week
- Why you should schedule not only your work plans but your Facebook or other apps for downtime and even your nightly sleep
- Why everyone should make time for reflecting, even at work
- The right way to reinforce your identity to become empowered
- How to react to those annoying internal triggers
- And much, much more!
Contact Nir Eyal:
- Indistractable.com – If you buy the book, enter in your order number and Nir will send you a complimentary video course as a bonus.
- Hooked also by Nir Eyal
- Distraction guide: https://www.nirandfar.com/distractions/
- Habits vs. routines article: https://www.nirandfar.com/habits/
- Schedule maker tool: https://nirandfar.com/schedule-maker/
- Orua Ring
- Withings Watch
- Whoop Band
- Forest app for focus
- Focus Mate
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Hackers and Painters by Paul Graham
- Lost Connections by Johann Hari
- Factfulness by Hans Rosling
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Are you ready to be EPIC with us?! Then grab our EGP Letter here where you’ll get not only all of the notes for everything episode we’ve done and will do in the mail, a private forum community, plus new training videos all the time with us and our guests.
- Today’s show is co-sponsored by Easy Webinar and Casey Zeman. He has put together a 20% off deal for our listeners. Be sure to check them out as they have live webinars, hybrid webinars, automated webinars and social media functionality, everything you need for webinars in a single platform.
- We are also sponsored by Steve Olsher and his podcast Beyond 8 Figures, where he and his hosts, Mary Goulet and Richard Otey chat with amazing entrepreneurs who have either run or have exited a business that has produced over eight figures.
- How To Find And Focus Solely On The Things That Suit You Best – Brad Spencer
- A Guide to Planning Out Your Week to Get More Done – Henry Evans
Subscribe & Review To The Hustle & Flowchart Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Hustle & Flowchart Podcast! If the information in our weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!