Today we are chatting with Jay Papasan, co-author of The One Thing who works alongside Gary Keller, of Keller-Williams Real Estate. Jay comes from a publishing background and has worked with some big names such as Mia Hamm and Bill Phillips to help them get their books published. He currently serves as the Vice President of the learning division of Keller-Williams, and today we talk about his perspectives about writing books, course creation, lead generation, time blocking, goal design, and more.
Jay also talks about knowledge management, which is a rabbit hole that we’ve been looking into, so the part where he dives into how to consume books and his process of reading and locking in the knowledge was a real win. Plus we talk about how to be well rounded and pulling sources and information from all walks of life, so as not to live in an echo chamber where our learning is stalled. After you’ve listened be sure to check out our previous show with The One Thing’s Geoff Woods for more goal setting tactics and our show with Jeff Spencer where we chat about the roadmap that champions follow and how to find the right goals for you.
“When we talk about a process for self-improvement, you have to read, you have to reflect on what you read, and that reflection is where you’re comparing your experience and your beliefs to what this person is telling you. And then you have to codify it in your notebook.” – Jay Papasan
Topics We Discussed Include:
- What is Matt’s ideal job? (guitarist for a punk rock band? Instructor for a shark cave diving school? tune in to find out!)
- How to read with purpose
- Time blocking to get more done and extra time for the things you love
- The one most important thing for every business
- Misconceptions around The One Thing concept
- When you should be challenging your beliefs
- Tips on learning that will cut out time-wasters and books you should probably not finish
- Why you want to read books on finances and money every year, even if you are an English major
- And much, much more!
Resources From Jay Papasan:
References and Links Mentioned:
- Positioning & The 21 Immutable Laws by Al Ries and Philip Kotler
- The Road Less Stupid: Advice from the Chairman of the Board by Keith Cunningham
- How I Lost 170 Million Dollars by Noah Kagan
- Are you ready to be EPIC with us?! Then grab our EGP Letter here!
- Did you know we have an awesome YouTube Channel?
- Join the Facebook Community – be sure to hop in our Facebook group to chat with us, our other amazing guests that we’ve had on the show, and fellow entrepreneurs!
- This episode is sponsored by our go-to SEO research tool, Ahrefs.com, and by Easy Webinar – be sure to check out these special deals for our listeners.
- How Billionaires Set Their Goals – Geoff Woods
- The Roadmap That Champions Follow – Jeff Spencer
Enjoy this clip from our interview with Jay Papasan:
Subscribe & Review To The Hustle & Flowchart Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Hustle & Flowchart Podcast! If the information in our weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!