At 23 years old, John landed a job as a Writer in the Clinton White House. He got the job because he’s good at developing relationships with the right people. He’s good at getting to know VIPs and other successful leaders.
His experience growing up of barely making ends meet taught him the importance of building and nurturing relationships with VIPs, top performers and other influential people who don’t just know you, but who like you and want to help you succeed.
John Corcoran is a recovering attorney, and a writer, father, and a former Clinton White House Writer and Speechwriter to the Governor of California. Throughout his career, John has worked in Hollywood, the heart of Silicon Valley, and ran his own boutique law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area catering to small business owners and entrepreneurs. He is also the creator of Smart Business Revolution and the Smart Business Revolution podcast.
On today’s episode, John will walk us through in making a difference and standing out when building relationships with people. He’ll talk about how you position yourself and be memorable to someone while delivering value to the person, making impact to the world, and setting up your priorities straight.
“If you have something that’s considered an accomplishment and you want to be memorable for it, you also want to make sure it’s not intimidating to people.” – John Corcoran
Some topics that were discussed include:
- Why John is a big fan of bringing people together
- John’s career journey and background
- A simple exercise to get a tidbit of background or something memorable about you
- The blessing and the curse of going to Harvard
- Finding your hook to stand apart in the crowd
- How John landed a job in the White House
- The key point in positioning yourself for ultimate success
- There are time to say Yes, just as there are times to say NO to opportunities
- Shooting our own North Star
- What is Rise 25 and what market does it serve
- The Brewery networking event
- Taking a step backwards to get clearer vision of the goal
- How an introvert differs from everyone else in business
- How John works and strategizes at networking events
- The most effective way to connect to someone on a personal level
- Some worst things seen at networking events
- The most difficult part in running an event
- Tips to create a unique selling point
- Achieving goals and having priorities to afford TIME
- Strongest recommendation to use to organize relationships
Contact John Corcoran:
- John’s Website
- Rise 25 (Traffic and Conversion Event on February 25th)
References & links mentioned:
- Give and Take by Adam Grant
- When Someone Asks What Do You Do – Nancy Marmolejo
- The Who You Know System – Omari Broussard
- How To Plant Yourselves In Others Minds
- Dissecting A Super-Connector – David Gonzelez
- Building Connections And Buying Businesses – Brad Costanzo
- Connecting With The Greatest Minds On Earth – Michael Trainer
- The Fletcher Method
Subscribe & Review The Hustle & Flowchart Podcast
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of the Hustle & Flow Chart Podcast! If the information shared in these weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!